Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.
Black and white photograph of temporary buildings under construction east of the Health Education Building (McAfee Gymnasium) and south of the Practical Arts Building (Student Services Building). From left the photo shows the Recreation Hall with adjoining Cafeteria, with a Quonset hut for the band. Materials in front of the Quonset hut are for constructing the Temporary Library Building. Exact date of photograph unknown. The buildings were in use by 1948.
From Norma Winkleblack’s Buildings and Grounds of EIU (Historical Data), Cafeteria and Student Lounge: Three surplus military buildings were erected as a single unit in 1948 and located in the area east of McAfee Gym on the site now occupied by the University Union. They served as a food service and social facility, with a student lounge located in the south end. It was known as "The Woodshed." It served the university community until 1958 when the University Union Building was completed.