Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.
Black and white photograph of temporary cafeteria, with smaller, adjoining building used as a Recreation Hall, nearing completion. The photo shows the east façade of the buildings. Exact date of photo is unknown, but the buildings were opened for use in 1948.
From Norma Winkleblack’s Buildings and Grounds of EIU (Historical Data), Cafeteria and Student Lounge: Three surplus military buildings were erected as a single unit in 1948 and located in the area east of McAfee Gym on the site now occupied by the University Union. They served as a food service and social facility, with a student lounge located in the south end. It was known as "The Woodshed." It served the university community until 1958 when the University Union Building was completed.