Download Full Text (88.5 MB)
Eastern Illinois University has undergone a vast transformation
during its first 75 years. Beginning in one building on a
40-acre campus valued at $227,000, it grew to a campus of 316
acres with 35 modern buildings valued at some $61,000,000.
Eastern started as an institution whose main purpose was to train
teachers for the schools of East Central Illinois, but in three
quarters of a century it grew into a full fledged university composed
of one college, and seven schools, including a strong
graduate school. From a faculty of 18 and a student body of 125
in 1899, the number of students rose to more than 8,000 and the
faculty reached nearly 600 by 1973-74. In physical appearance,
programing, excellence of faculty, and public service, the
changes at Eastern have been dramatic.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.
Eastern Illinois University
Eastern Illinois University, EIU, Normal School, Doudna, Buzzard
Tingley, Donald F., "The Emerging University - A History of Eastern Illinois University 1949-1974" (1974). History of EIU. Book 1.