Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.
Black and white photograph of temporary recreation hall, at left, adjoining cafeteria, and nearby quonset hut used for the student band and for equipment storage. Built in 1947 just east of the Health Education Building (now McAfee Gymnasium), the buildings helped accommodate growing student population following World War II. Exact date of photograph is unknown, but taken sometime during 1947.
From Norma Winkleblack’s Buildings and Grounds of EIU (Historical Data), Cafeteria and Student Lounge: Three surplus military buildings were erected as a single unit in 1948 and located in the area east of McAfee Gym on the site now occupied by the University Union. They served as a food service and social facility, with a student lounge located in the south end. It was known as "The Woodshed." It served the university community until 1958 when the University Union Building was completed.