The Stover-Ebinger Herbarium was founded in 1899 and includes about 80,000 vascular plant specimens. It contains a good representation of the flora of the midwestern United States, with the majority of specimens collected in Illinois. Originally named the Stover Herbarium for Dr. Ernest L. Stover, professor of botany from 1923-1960, the Botany Dept. faculty voted in 1995 to "expand" the name to honor John E. Ebinger on the occasion of his retirement. Dr. Ebinger collected about half the specimens in the collection and served as curator from 1963-1995.